Tuesday, April 30, 2013

April Read - Such a Pretty Girl




Such a Pretty Girl - Laura Weiss
Synopsis (as taken [and edited for accuracy] from Goodreads):  
They promised Meredith nine years of safety, but only gave her three.
Her father was supposed to be locked up until Meredith turned eighteen. She thought she had time to grow up, get out, and start a new life. But Meredith is only fifteen, and today her father is coming home from prison.
Today her time has run out.
D’s Rating:   (out of five hearts)

S’s Rating:  ❤❤❤ 3/4(out of five hearts)



D’s Thoughts:

I chose Such a Pretty Girl because Amazon suggested it after searching for related books that I had previously enjoyed. After reading the synopsis, I knew that it simply had to be our sister read.

I absolutely loved the book...so why am I rating it as merely average? I felt an extreme connection to Meredith because I understand and relate to her familial relationships. However, not everyone can. If the reader of this book has led a relatively charmed life and has never interacted with those who have not, the relationship between Meredith and her mother will seem absolutely absurd.

I appreciated the effort that the author put into the "caring neighbor" characters, especially Nigel the police officer. At least in my experiences, these people matter more than can ever be described. Laura Weiss certainly gives it a good go, and for that I am very much appreciative.


Standout Quotes:

"The ache starts in my chest and spreads through my veins. The abuse I can handle; it's the happiness that cripples."

"I forgive him for not being what I want and am thankful for his being what I need."


Album to listen to while reading this book: Give Up by The Postal Service is a bit wordy in the lyrics for this book (not in offense to the author, that's simply not the style), but the sentiments are there.


S’s Thoughts:
I really liked Such a Pretty Girl... it's one of those books that you can read in one or two sittings... or in my case, one commute to and from work!  Weiss's writing is punchy and raw and rings true.  I didn't feel like the scenario or characters were contrived or the ending "not enough".  I admired Meredith for her bravery--I'm not so sure I could be as ballsy (can I say that here?) as she was.  I'd like to think I'd try, though!

Out of all of the characters, the one I found most interesting was Meredith's mother.  What had to have happened to her for her to be the way she was?  I could have done with more backstory on her, but that's really my only niggling little complaint. 

A year ago, I might have had issues with parts of the interaction between Meredith and her mother not ringing true.  How could a mother really feel that way about her child?  How could any mother choose a man over someone they carried within themselves for nine months?  But you know what?  That was a year ago and things change.  That's all I really need to say about that.


Standout Quotes:
"In decorating, you want to tie everything together to create the impression of continuous harmony.  I put touches of color in your father's condo, too.  I think he'll be pleased."

"Now he's here.  Now she's happy.  Now I'm supposed to act like nothing ever happened."

"The clock over the sink ticks like a bomb."

"The odds are high that the best of me has already been ripped away and that if I don't keep hold of myself I will lose what's left.  Without the structure of my rules and rituals, I'm a free-for-all open to any guy who wants to hurt me."

"I lie wide-eyed in the dark, listening.  The obscee waits outside my door, counting the minutes until dawn when it will come at me again."

  Album to listen to while reading this book:  Nevermind by Nirvana

May’s book is S’s choice and is Tell the Wolves I'm Home by Carol Rifka Brunt.

See you soon! S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment